Part #1. How I found my passion and started my own business.
Step by step guide for those who want to do the same.
I always wanted to have my own business. Always.
But somehow, I ended up slaving for corporates for over 20 years of my life.
If you want to know how to check one of my previous blogs where I shared a story about a 14-year-long mistake.
Today I start a series of posts to share with you how I found a way out of a life of quiet desperation and started to follow my dream.
My step-by-step mindset-changing process helped me to find my passion and propelled me to start my own business.
Step #1 – Acknowledgement of my results
When I turned 40 I got this realisation moment that there is no time left to dream about anything.
Not about a perfect body shape, not about the house of my dream, not about the next step in my career that will bring me joy and satisfaction in what I do, not about travelling around the world and experiencing different adventures, not about… becoming a millionaire.
It’s just an age game.
You can dream about it when you are 20, 30 or maybe even 37(the age when I moved to New Zealand), but this game changed for me when I turned 40.
No time left. Full stop.
15-20 years more and you are 55-60 years old retired and broke.
Let’s get back to reality and let’s have a look at what you have achieved so far.
That was my internal dialogue.
I decided to re-assess my results:
– Living in Auckland, New Zealand – is not bad.
– Having a great family, loving and supportive wife and beautiful daughters – very good!
– Two reasonable cars, nothing luxuries but still good enough for me – well, could be better.
– Renting a nice property in a very cool and cosy suburb of Auckland (to be honest, it is the best house I ever lived in in my life) but still, not mine – not what I expected to have at this age.
– Management job in one of the biggest companies in the country. Bloody nightmare! Long hours, stress, unfulfillment, corporate politics and games, constantly compromising my values, and mental and physical health – here my ALARM was going on and on all the time!!! NOT WHAT I WANT!!! AT ALL!!! CHANGE! CHANGE! CHANGE!
– Financial situation is simple – my modest lifestyle, cars and rent payments left me with… nothing at the end of the month. Life from paycheck to paycheck. Definitely not what I was dreaming to achieve at this age.
– Health has become worse as a result of a stressful job, poor diet and lack of exercise – far away from what I wanted it to be.
So, the first step I did – was to acknowledge my results and understood that all my life I was trying to achieve time, financial and geographical freedom.
Then I discovered my 5 main values – wealth, health, family, leadership and freedom.
And only after that, it did become clear that all my life, I was trying to achieve freedom by compromising my values.
Working long hours – stealing this time from my family.
Sacrificing my health to achieve greater results hoping for a next promotion that would give me more money.
Each promotion came with a little money and at least double responsibilities and even longer hours which was increasing mental pressure.
Same broken circle.
Again, and again, and again…
It was a mistake to think that I have time to change my life.
If you have a dream, go for it right now.
The younger you are, the easier it is for you to pursue your dream.
Once you have kids, a family, a mortgage, and responsibilities – you are trapped.
When I understood that my life and career strategy were counterproductive, that my values are not aligned with what I do, and that my results are not satisfying me, I made the next step.
I asked myself what would happen if I continue to do what I was doing.
The answer was – I’d get the same results.
It means no house of my dream, no travel around the world, and life from paycheck to paycheck with no chance to provide my family with the level of support I wanted.
More than that – I poor health in a very short period as a result of the high level of stress, poor relationship with my kids and wife…
And most importantly…
I was feeling like I won’t be even able to make it to retirement age…
Even the thought of doing the same job for another 5 years would make me feel terrified.
My possible future has become crystal clear and it looked miserable.
I would recommend everyone to do this exercise if they want to change their life:
- Look at your results in the most important areas of your life (e.g. relationship, health, wealth, social, self).
- Write down what you want to have and what you actually have.
- Answer a question: “Is this what I wanted to achieve at this stage of my life?”.
- Then, ask yourself a question: “If I continue to do what I’m doing now, what my results would look like (in all these areas as above) in 5, 10, 20 years?”.
- Write it down in detail. Feel it, live it.
- Then acknowledge the fact that NOTHING WILL CHANGE if YOU DO NOT TAKE ACTION to change it right now!
- Accept it. Accept the fact that you need to change your life and must take action.
There is no time left to think or dream about it.
In my next post I’m going to share with you:
– What areas of life required attention before anything else…
– How to deal with fears…
– First action step towards my dream…